Monday, March 20, 2006

Rhythm Is A Many Splendored Thing

I spent much of Sunday in mourning. Mourning the loss of my beloved Maryland Terrapins to Manhattan in the first round of the NIT. Yes, in the great race to see who'd be crowned as the 65th best basketball team in the nation, the Terps lost in the FIRST ROUND. Sensing my bitterness, Mr. Floresta, in an act of great selflessness, presented me with tickets to see The English Beat at a club near our home.

Not that many of you care, I'm sure, but The English Beat is one of my all-time favorite bands. And I must say that Dave Wakeling's voice hasn't changed a bit since they started making music in the early 80s. But this information is, for the most part, immaterial. The reason that I'm bringing this little concert up is that this band's performance value is off the charts good. They've got style, they've got groove, they've got rhythm and great music, to boot.

This got me thinking, at least indirectly, about our Top 11 and who I would actually have any interest in seeing LIVE. I was sad to realize that there aren't many for whom I'd be willing to shell out the cost of concert tickets and all of the drinks and tchochkies that go with going to a live show.

I could see myself watching Katharine in a small club atmosphere, where I could sip a cocktail while drinking in her rich voice. But she's not really CONCERT material, in the traditional sense.
Chris is a no-brainer here. He's got arena rock written all over him and I'm sure that he'll go far, whether Fuel picks him up (that would certainly give THEIR lagging popularity a boost) or whether he's forms a new band called The Sideburns or whatever. The type of music that he performs is more the taste of Mr. Floresta, but I think he'd happily spend the beaucoup dolares to see Mr. Daughtry.

Taylor. Taylor, Taylor, Taylor. Yeah ... I'd go to see him in a heartbeat. I think that he's got everything he needs to put on an awesome, well-rounded show. I think smaller venues would suit him well and he's got a great future tapping into the older contemporary market, as well as those who were introduced to Ray Charles by Jamie Foxx.

Mandisa is another one whose voice rocks, but she strikes me as more of a recording artist. I wouldn't be surprised to hear her go in more of a gospel direction, either, so I don't really see her as LIVE bait, so to speak.

Beyond those four, though, I can't imagine anyone else performing live (outside of the AI tour) and I certainly wouldn't have any interest in actually paying money to see them. Elliott has a great voice, but as a performer, he's pretty bland. I have already made my stance on Kellie's squatting perfectly clear (Bucky's wide-legged stance falls under that umbrella, as far as I'm concerned).

Would you pay to see any of the Top 11 live? Seriously. I know we each have the contestants we support, but would you actually shell out the $50+ that concert tickets usually cost? Let me know who you'd like to see live and why.

While you're thinking about it, please think on my Terps with kind thoughts. At least they'll get to go on Spring Break this year. (*SIGH*)

No comments: