Friday, March 10, 2006

You Can Run, But You Can't Hide ... From STEVIE!

So, the theme for next week's is Stevie Wonder, hmmm? Even though the contestants have been running Little Stevie into the ground, I think that this has the potential to really separate the wheat from The Gherkin. I'm having some Innervisions that this could be pretty scary. But it could also be GREAT!

I've read lots of posts that classify Stevie Wonder's music as "boring" or a "snoozefest". I just don't GET that. His music--well, everything he recorded up to about I Just Called to Say I Love You--is flawless. Groovy, funky and, in many cases, beautifully melodic, his songs are complicated and will challenge even the most seasoned of singers.

I think that in the auditions, many hopefuls choose his songs because they know that if they nail them, they're shoo-ins for the Hollywood round (and in rounds thereafter). And why not? If Stevie Wonder can do it, why not Kevin Covais or Bucky Covington? Stevie Wonder makes what he does look sooo easy that all of these hacks think they can pull it off just as effortlessly. Guess again! The Songbook of Stevie Wonder is one of the most dangerous traps an Idol contestant call tumble into. If you rock a Stevie Wonder song, you can rock just about anything. If you go down in flames (which many of the contestants WILL), your only hope is that someone else crashes and burns more spectacularly than you.

There is one saving grace from last night's results, as far as this theme is concerned. I don't think I could have handled hearing Will Makar sing Masterblaster. No one should be forced to listen to something that devoid of soul. Gedeon would have kicked butt with this theme though (not that I'm bitter that he's gone or anything.) Whatever. I'm over it.

All I ask, really, is that NO ONE sing You Are The Sunshine of My Life or Ribbon in the Sky (I'm sure that someone WILL). With that, here are the songs I think our Top 12 should sing next week (even though they're probably rehearsing already):

Ace: My Cherie Amour
Taylor: Uptight (Everything's Alright) or Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)
Chris: Higher Ground (no the Red Hot Chili Peppers are NOT the ones who wrote that)
Bucky: For Once In My Life
Kevin: Part-Time Lover (just 'cause I think it'd be really funny)
Elliott: I Believe or Do I Do (he would totally jam on that syncopated stuff)
Mandisa: Sir Duke or I Wish
Paris: Boogie on Reggae Woman
Katharine: Overjoyed (I know that Sway just did this, but she can do it right)
Lisa: Hey Love
Melissa: Living For The City
The Gherkin: Fingertips (yes, I know it's an instrumental)

I'd love to hear what y'all have to say. What do you think of the theme? What would you like to hear (or NOT hear, as the case may be!)

WTYM!

No comments: